Thursday, July 9, 2015

The List

Dear Just a Friend,
    I have a checklist
          Two pages longs
               Full of qualifications and qualities
                    That I've made a requirement
My list has just kept
     Getting longer and longer
          With each person who hasn't been
               What you already are
                    Too specific, too demanding
My list has only kept
     Me from second dates
          From dreaming of Hap'ly
               From saying yes
                    From entertaining maybes
I have been told
     To trash the list
          To reshape my expectation
               To lower my standards
                    Or to accept just being          alone
Without trying, you
     Keep checking off my boxes.
          Frightened I've started
               Looking for flaws
                    Searching for gaps 
I tried to cross you off
     Scratch out the possibility
          Erase the maybe
               But my list wouldn't let me
                    Mark out your name
                 
                 
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment