Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Eating My Words


There's nothing like a bruised heart to inspire poetry. 



Eating My Words


On Sunday night, over dinner with an old friend
the words, “my new man,”
                        danced off my lips
                                    with no foresight or hesitation
                                    like they belonged
                                    easy     as    you    please.
Surprised, I stopped
just to taste them, and, O!
                        they were rich, full, mellow
                                    ever so slightly sweet
                                    like coconut
                                    or a mouth full of autumn.
I’m sorry, dear, but don’t be surprised
if your Tuesday title doesn’t taste quite right
                        friend is delicious, but
                                    the artificial sweetness of “just a friend”
                                    after I have tasted something so real
                                    burns the back of my throat.
Cloying     chemical     saccharine
            synthetic, manufactured aftertaste;
                        like trying too hard,
                                    like letting me down easy,
                                                like eating my own foolishness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment